Thursday, February 16, 2012

Hypothyroidism

Authored by Rickey Combs On my dog’s last trip to the vet, we found out that he had a skin infection and that he also had hypothyroidism. I had no idea that dogs could have that problem and it scared me. Luckily we had logged onto http://www.satelliteinternetbroadband.com/hughesnet/Oregon/M/Monmouth/ and gotten satellite internet at home so that I could do some research on the canine condition. I was surprised to find out that a lot of dogs actually have problems with their thyroid like humans have. Henry ( my beagle) has a problem where he does not produce enough hormone. His thyroid problem had actually caused a fifteen pound weight gain over the last six months. The condition also made him susceptible to the skin condition that he got. I read on the internet that hypothyroidism can actually cause your immune system to slow down. It can cause your dog to become sluggish but agitated and cause a lot of joint and skin discomfort. I am sure glad that I took him to the vet when I did otherwise I could have gone months without knowing what was going on!

No comments: